Pages

Any recommendations for a compact street photography rig?


I'm going to be travelling soon and I want to be able to do a lot of street photography of everyday people and environments. I don't want to have to always be lugging my DSLR(s) and sticking big honking lenses into people's faces. I have an S90 which I love, but it's way too slow for street photography.

I've been reading a little ... the Olympus something or other, the Fuji Pro-X, the Canon G15 at the less expensive end. But I'm leaning more towards X100 than the X-pro for street shooting unless you really need to change lenses. The 23mm/F2 fixed lens is incredibly sharp. With the most recent firmware they are much faster than originally shipped, although it's still not perfect. It has a built in flash that always seems to give the perfect fill flash, and it seems faster than the X-pro. If you can wait a bit the new version X100s is coming out (pre-orders going on now) and that one is supposed to have DSLR speed AF and the same sensor as the X-pro.


I also liked using the Olympus pen cameras, not sure what the latest model is. The IQ on the one I had (I think Pen E-PL1) is noticeably better than the S90, pretty fast and if you get the Panasonic 20mm/1.7 lens you have a nice pocketable rig.

I have a friend (commercial photographer that shoots medium format digital) that carries one of these around on the street and absolutely loves it. I played with it for a few minutes, but didn't do any real shooting with it so I can't say it's better or worse than the other suggestions, but I can tell you he raves about his and the pictues I've seen were amazing.

Any real-world advice? Looking for good image quality, very responsive and fast, viewfinder (optical or digital), maybe keep the project in the (very) low four figures.

No comments:

Post a Comment