Pages

Pentax K-5: Why you should buy it


Ok, I've owned my K-5 for two months now and must give my 2 cents about it.
First off, you will NOT find a better buy under $1400, PERIOD.
The reasons are plentiful:
1. It's weather sealed- I took it out into an intense thunderstorm to snap photos of lightning. It was SOAKED, but now two weeks later, not a single issue has arisen. (This was with the weathersealed KIT LENS) Nothing by Canon, Nikon or Sony comes close to this level of protection.

2. It has by far the best image quality in the APS-C sized sensor market. It blows away the T3i, T4i, D7000, A77 and anything else with a "cropped" sensor. Mainly this is due to its amazing color bit depth, dynamic range and the fact that it has image stabilization IN CAMERA.. Meaning no matter what lens you attach to it, whether it be a day old or 30 years, it will be stabilized. Heck, with good glass, it smokes my 5D Mark II(not in video though).

3. It's light, small, compact and feels very solid, as it has a steel frame and magnesium body.

4. Pentax lenses are quite a bit sharper than their Nikon/Sony/Canon counterparts. They're almost as good as Olympus lenses. My 18-55mm WR kit lens stops down to an AMAZING f/40!!! At f/8 and 35mm(sweet spot), it's every bit as sharp as my 17-40L Canon lens, add weathersealing and you've got the best Kit lens on the market.

5. Backwards compatible with every Pentax lens ever made.

6. In-Camera: HDR, Interval(time lapse) shooting mode, multiple exposure(layering), 1/8000 top shutter speed, Image stabilization, dual axis level(on viewfinder, info screen on top and back screen), weathersealed pop-up flash and live view shooting.

Ok, I'm a 6'5" tall guy with very large hands and I have found it to be a pleasure to hold. It's nowhere near as bulky or as frightening(to candid victims) as my 5D MII. However, in time I will be getting the battery grip for better portrait shots.

I shopped for over a year before buying the K-5 and compared it to every camera under $1,500, including some full frame models. What I found was that the K-5 is perhaps the best deal in photography. Before you buy a Nikon D3200/D7000/D5200, Canon T2i,T3i,T4i,60D,7D, or any Sony camera, you owe it to yourself to compare them to the mighty K-5! You will not be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment