Pages

Another question about lenses

So the canon loyalty program only has certain refurbished lenses in stock. My SIL in buying today, so I am hoping I get an answer to this question quickly (please?)

Again, I'm shooting on a T3 crop body. I was looking for a shorter ranged lens a prime.
They only have these lenses
10-22 f 3.5
17-40 f4
24-105 f4
28-135 3.5

These lenses are available refurbished and at a discount ranging from 20-30% depending on the lens. I am debating the 17-40 and the 10-22. I hear the 17-40 isn't THAT great on a crop body. The 10-22 is an efs lens so I'm leaning more towards this one but wanted to get a second opinion (or two or three!)

10-22 f 3.5 is a very good lens for only a crop sensor body. It's extremely wide angle, good for certain shots, but definitely not a general purpose lens. It will give some great creative abilities -- perspectives you simply cannot get with other lenses.

17-40 f4 is a well-build 'L' lens, which works as a nice GP lens for crop sensors, and a wide angle for full-frame. The image is good, and the price is very good. I do not own one, but have considered buying one.

24-105 f4 is another well-built 'L' lens, which has decent image, although a bit of distortion at the wide end. I use this a lot on a full-frame camera, but it's not as wide as I like on a crop.

28-135 3.5 is a very inexpensive lens with decent image quality. Build quality isn't as good, although it will give better images than your existing 18-200. It is rather long for a crop body, so don't expect to shoot indoors unless it's a close-up. These are often available used for $250.

Of those, I would suggest going with the 10-22 just to give you some great options to go with your existing lens selection. If you like prime lenses, this will still make you happy... throw in a 30mm at some point, and you'll have all the important ranges for general photography using just your primes and this.

No comments:

Post a Comment